Friday, July 29, 2011

Speed Dating-Part One: Shots!!!!

Last night I went speed dating. This was not just any speed dating evening...but a lock and key event. See previous post. So, tucked away off of Highway 83 in a quaint little cheesy bar, the lock and key event would occur.
When my friend and I walk in, we don't know what to expect. But, we check in with "S" at the front and receive nametags. Well, you know how I feel about nametags...I think we should all wear them everywhere...just so we know who is single and who is not, and what particular issue you may or may not have. Hi, My name is Julie...and I use my humor as a shield and sword and always am on the lookout for something bad to happen to me!!!
But, alas these nametags are just your regular sharpie name on an average sized Avery file lable. Not nearly what I was hoping!
After checking in....we go to the bar. Both my friend and I are in dire need of booze. We sort of peek around a bit to see if anyone interesting is around...at whihc point we meet "G". He about 5 feet tall and has a strange sparkle in his eye. I imagine that the sparkle is from his proximity to my chest...given his height, and my willingness to wear 4 inch hooker shoes out in public. I will see the sparkle more times than I care to as the evening goes on.
But...we chat, decide to do a shot and continue to wait for the dating to go down.
So...our hostess callls us into a room. 6 tables are set up with laminated sheets of questions at every table. We are asked to sit 4 women to a table...so we head to the corner table...note...this is the only table with access to an exit. We will want to use this exit several times over the course of the evening. I never actually get to make it as far as the exit...although I almost bolted while in the bathroom. Until the good girl in me felt bad for bailing on mu friend. Oh, who am I kidding...I just couldn't run that fast in the hooker shoes.
At our first table, we have another 5 ft tall gentleman "T". He is more built like a short Sylvester Stallone and has tattoos up and down his arms. Remember the hat Rocky wore in the first movie..."T" is wearing one as well. Yo Adrine!!!!
There seem to be no shortage of short dudes at this little event. Ha, ha, ...little event.
Anyway...so, we sort of discuss the questions...trying to break the ice. There is only so much ice that can be broken when your questions inlude:
"If you talked in your sleep, what would you say and why?"
"If you could take a bath in anything, what would it be and why?"
"Why is the weirdest thing you have ever eaten?"
And my personal favorite..."What do martians do on Mars?".

Upon reading the questions...a very lovely monotone talker preceeds to discuss Freud. I just did a shot of a blue sticky sweet liquor, am at a roadside bar in New Cumberland and am stuck in a room with at least 20 guys who will never hit this. I could care less about Freud.

To be continued....

1 comment: