Online dating is kinda like going to the pet store to buy a new puppy. You look in the cages, see who has the brightest eyes, cutest shaggy fur, and who's looks at you with their tongue sticking out. When you go to the pet store, you look for "that" puppy. You know that one that looks like it is going to have some spunk, personality, is cute and you won't mind too much when it pees on the carpet. You don't go looking for a puppy with gooky eyes, matted fur and who sits in the corner of its cage licking itself. You want a good puppy.
And in the online dating world, you can look through profiles...see who looks like they have a good car, normal friends...and is cute enough enough that you mind if they get drunk and pee on the carpet. It's really very similar.
Let's face it...if I were a puppy in the pet store I would have vodka in my bowl,I would be chasing my tail and would have two other puppies hanging out with me eating all my food. Not exactly fancy, smancy doggie show material. It takes a special kinda of person to want that puppy. Not everyone who walks into the pet store is going to want to buy it a dog house with a heated bed, or a little purse to be carried around in.
I know that my therapist (my pretend one, because I can't actually commit to having one) would not like my use of the "puppy" analogy...but it's hard not to let this online thing get to you. I sit in a cage day after day and let people check me out while I hear sounds of "it's a hard knock life.." in my head. (that's actually a good thing...it drowns out the other voices)
I'm not sure how much longer I am going to sit in the cage hoping that someone will want to take me home...but until I have had enough, I am going to drink up the vodka in my bowl, chase my tail a little bit more and make sure that those other puppies who hang out with me and eat all my food look cute too...because we make a really nice package deal to take home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Puppies in the window is better than using Amersterdam window shopping as your analogy...
ReplyDeleteI had to google Amsterdam window shopping...ha!
ReplyDeleteYes, you are correct...doggies are a much better analogy...but sometimes it feels like window shopping too.